Open Until Filled
Workers’ Compensation Senior Claims Examiner
Salary Range: $81,829 – $104,437
COMMENSURATE WITH QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
Full-Time – 12 Month Position
Subject to a one-year probationary period
(RESIG does not pay into Social Security or SDI—State Disability).
This is an advanced Claims Examiner position. Under the general supervision of the Workers’ Compensation Manager and Claims Supervisor, this position is responsible for the investigation, evaluation, and settlement of claims.
Principal Job Duties
- In accordance with claims management procedures, review, investigate, and manage workers’ compensation claims for member school districts with use of a computerized claims management system.
- Obtain all documentation to substantiate the facts surrounding a claim.
- Evaluate and analyze the extent of exposure to accurately reserve claims.
- Analyze, make recommendations, and approve medical treatment plans from treating physicians and providers.
- Administer claim settlement authority according to policy.
- Administer statutory benefits to injured workers.
- Identify and pursue potential subrogation.
- Identify excess insurance claims, prepare reports to excess insurance carriers, and process reimbursements.
- Prepare concise reports for attorneys, physicians, member districts, and management.
- Provide status update to management on complex and/or sensitive claims.
- Develop and conduct periodic file reviews with member districts.
- Prepare claims for defense, settlement, subrogation, or arbitration activity.
- Provide direction to defense counsel, investigators, and vendors. Monitor and control claims costs.
- Delegate non-essential and/or clerical work to Claims Assistants and clerical support staff.
- Represent RESIG in hearings, settlement conferences, and trials.
- Develop and implement strategy to manage claims to an accurate and timely conclusion.
- Provide backup to Claims Examiners in their absence.
- Set and/or adjust schedule as needed for meetings, trainings, conferences, and workrelated events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Workers’ Compensation claim adjusting, investigation, and administrative techniques necessary to manage claims from initial report of injury to settlement or closure.
- California Labor Code, Government Code, and Education Code sections relative to workers’ compensation benefits.
- Reserving practices and techniques in accordance with laws sufficient to establish and maintain adequate financial levels on all claims, with understanding of excess carrier reporting.
- Office methods and equipment, audio visual equipment, filing systems, telephone techniques, letter and report writing, and well-developed computer skills required in Windows-based applications.
- Computer skills sufficient to manage workers’ compensation claims using an internal data processing system, including imaging system.
- Organize, develop, and prepare claims for assignment to counsel, trial, and mandatory settlement conferences.
- Learn, interpret, and apply specific rules, laws, and policies necessary to apply them with good judgement in the administration of public entity claims.
- Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with peers, managers, and those contacted in the course of work.
- Analyze claim developments and adopt effective courses of action necessary to close claims.
- Work independently and/or collaborate with RESIG management.
- Represent RESIG in a manner consistent with the policies, practices, and procedures of the organization.
- Attend conferences, off-site trainings, seminars, and other work-related events.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Independently and effectively organize and prioritize workload with frequent interruptions.
- Obtain and maintain CA Self-Insurance Administrator’s Certificate within the first year of assuming the Workers’ Compensation Senior Claims Examiner position.
- Frequently travel to various schools, vendors, meeting sites, and conferences.
- Must provide means of transportation.
- Must provide proof of a valid California driver’s license and California vehicle insurance.
- Work with office equipment, audio visual equipment and computerized workstation which involves repetitive arm and hand movement.
- Work while sitting, standing, bending, stooping, squatting, kneeling, and climbing.
- Lift and carry up to 25 pounds.
- Travel to various schools, vendors, meeting sites, and conferences.
Experience and Education
- A minimum of 3 years experience of increasingly complex w/c claims adjusting/examining and currently performing work at Senior Claims Examiner level.
- A California Self-Insured Administrator’s Certificate is preferred.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required; college degree preferred.
- Experience with the public sector or public schools is desirable.
For application materials, please refer to the Workers’ Compensation Senior Claims Examiner Application Packet (PDF)
Submission Deadline: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Candidates must deliver the following by email. The email address is provided in the Workers’ Compensation Senior Claims Examiner Application Packet (PDF):
- a cover letter,
- completed application,
- resume of experience,
- and three (3) professional references.
The examination of this classification will consist of:
- Evaluation of the application material submitted. (Incomplete submission packets will be rejected.)
- Qualified applicants will be asked to attend oral interview(s) either in-person or via the Zoom platform.
Successful applicant must be fingerprinted, and a satisfactory Department of Justice records check must be received prior to employment.
Per Government Codes 3100-3109 all public employees are disaster service workers subject to such disaster service activities as may be assigned to them by their superiors or by law. All disaster service workers shall, before they enter upon the duties of their employment, take, and subscribe to the oath or affirmation required by the Government Code. In case of an emergency or disaster, public employees are required by law to respond to the disaster when so assigned.